Printing from Windows Computers not managed by the CSL
To print from a computer not managed by the CSL, you will need to use the Department VPN .
Before adding the printer on Windows, install or extract the correct driver for the printer you are configuring .
Devices and Printers
Add a printer
Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer
The printer I want isn't listed
Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostnameand click
- Enter the following parameters for the printer hostname/IP address
- Device type:
- Hostname or IP address:
- Port name: printer name example:
Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use
- Device type:
- You may see a long delay on the
Detecting TCP/IP portscreen before the next screen is available for input. Please be patient; this delay is expected.
- Select Device Type:
- Enter the following
- LPR Settings Queue Name: enter queue name (example:
LPR Byte Counting Enabled
- Select the printer manufacturer and model to use the driver you installed above. If you can’t find the model you are interested in adding, the file you downloaded may be an exe file which will extract the needed drivers to a folder. You will need to specify this folder by clicking
Have Disk...and navigating to the driver you downloaded above.
- Specify the name of the printer (for example
Copier 6, but it’s your choice as to what you want to name it), then click
- On the Printer Sharing screen, select Do not share this printer and click Next
- You may want to disable the
Set as the default printeroption (your choice)
If you are an international student, or your PC or copy of Windows came from a foreign country, you may need to change the default paper size from A4 to Letter.
- Go to Devices and Printers, if it is not already open.
- Right click on the printer you just added. Click
- You will be presented with a window that gives you the option to select paper size.
Letter (8.5" x 11")from the drop-down box if it is not already selected.
(Please note that window you see may be different from the example picture depending on what printer you added.)
Add a new Printer
Automatically detect plug-and-play printer
Standard TCP/IP port
- Input the Printer Name:
- Input the Port Name: Use the name of the printer you want to use
- (this takes a while)
- Input the Queue Name: Use name of the printer you want to use (
Use LPR byte count
- Name the port by the name of the printer
No port sharing
- Select a printer driver to use with the printer
If you would like to use
copier-5's finisher for advanced features such as stapling, follow these additional steps:
- Enter the properties for the printer you have set up for
copier-5(Enter the Control Panel, open Printers and Faxes, right-click the printer and select properties)
- Click the accessories Tab
- Uncheck “Copy Tray” and check “Finisher SR970”
- Click OK
- This should make the advanced features on
copier-5available to you.